Futurity Show Rules & Guidelines 2023 Update
The Futurity show will, as always, feature the highest level competition of any alpaca show in
the country. Our signature limited edition trophies, and banners, will be awarded to all color
champions and reserve color champions. Premium awards will include Herd Sire of the Year
awards, in light and dark divisions, and Breeder of the Year awards in Small, Medium and Large
farm divisions. The Futurity show will also feature the get of sire awards and Judges choice
awards in both Suri and Huacaya divisions.
Futurity Specific Rules
- Private treaty sales and the promotion of non- Celebrity Sales events are not allowed at the Futurity Show & Sale.
- Stalls will be limited to 15 stalls per registered farm.
- The same family unit may only compete in one farm size division for Breeder of the Year awards in the same “Breed” category. ie If Tim and Teresa Vincent as partners with Jane and John Doe have a business entity TJ Alpacas which competes as a farm in the Large Farm division, neither the Vincents or the Does may compete for Breeder of the Year in a division with a lower ownership threshold (i.e. Small or Medium Sized Farm in this example). The same will hold true if the same individuals are principal members, partners, or stockholders in more than one entity competing in the Futurity.
- Open to alpacas 6 months to less than 3 years. Entries pay an entry fee.
- Entries must be the offspring of a nominated herd-sire, or be “Self-Nominated” (self-nomination fee is typically 50% of a Herd Sire Nomination fee).
- Only a herd sire’s owner may nominate him for the show.
- All Judging is done per AOA Show Division rules, but as a Futurity, the show does not have the same entry number requirements to be allowed to award color championships.
- Premium Awards- Breeder of the Year & Herd Sire of Year Award Size Designations:
- Huacaya: Small Farm 1: 1-15 ARI females owned, Small Farm 2: 16-30 ARI females owned, Medium Farm 1: 31-70 ARI females owned, Medium Farm 2: 71- 105 ARI females owned, Large Farm: 106+ ARI females owned.
- Suri: Small Farm 1: 1-10 ARI females owned, Small Farm 2: 11-20 ARI females owned, Medium Farm 1: 21-40 ARI females owned, Large Farm: 41+ ARI females owned.
- All exhibitors must enter the number of females they own according to the formula below at the time of entry. FINAL determination of group winners will be based on post-show verification of farm size as of April 22, 2023.
- Number of Female alpacas (of any age) registered with AOA
- Minus Alpacas being sold on contract
- Plus Alpacas being purchased on contract
- Breeders raising both suris and huacayas must submit separate group certifications for each breed in order to compete in both BoY categories
AWARDS – Trophies will be awarded as follows:
Trophies awarded during the show:
- Color Champion and Reserve Color Champion, Best Bred and Owned, Judge’s Choice.
- Get of Sire Classes in Huacaya and Suri, Light/White, and Colored divisions.
Premium Awards – (Calculated following Show, and announced approximately June 1, following that year’s show, trophies will be shipped to winners.)
- Breeder of the Year
- Suri and Hucaaya in each size division in which there are participants.
- Overall Herd Sires of the Year and Reserve Overall Herd Sires of the Year:
- Suri and Huacaya, White/Lite, and Colored Divisions.
- Only the points of the 5 top-performing (point winning) offspring of a nominated herd sire count toward the Overall HSY award.
- Winner and Reserve trophies will be awarded.
- Divisional Herd Sire of the Year.
- Suri and Huacaya in each size farm size division.
- Both Colored and White/Light offspring will count toward this award.
- For Small Breeder Division Top 3 performing (point winning) offspring of a nominated herd sire count toward the HSY award. For Medium division the top 4 performing offspring will be considered, and for Large Breeder division the top 6 will be considered.
- Winners will be awarded trophies. (No reserve awards)
- Futurity First Timer (Rookie of the Year) Awards.
- There will be one suri, and one huacaya award.
- In order to be eligible for the award, neither the exhibitor (farm), nor exhibitor’s immediate family may have competed in the Futurity in any of the last five years.
- The top three placing alpacas of the farm will be scored.
- All points won by all entries of the farm, and all herd sire points won by the offspring of the farm’s nominated herd sires count toward Breeder of the Year points.
- Points- Awarded for calculation of Herd Sire of the Year are done using the following point scores 6th-5, 5th-6, 4th-7, 3rd-8, 2nd-10, 1st-12, RCC-15, CC-18
- The same scale above is used for calculation of The Breeders of the Year. However, the points are divided between the entry owner, and Herd Sire Owner. 80% of the score is given to the entry/exhibitor, 20% is given to the Herd Sire/Herd Sire Owner. (For example: For 2nd place there are 10 points total. If you own the entry, but not the herd sire, you will receive 80% of the point total, or 8 points. If you own the nominated herd sire of an entry that finishes 2nd, but do not own the entry, you will receive 20% of the total points, in this case 2 points. If you own both the entry and the nominated herd sire, you would receive a total of 10 points (8+2).
- Scoring for Breeder of the Year Awards: All points won by all entries of the farm, and all herd sire points won by the offspring of the farm’s nominated herd sires count toward Breeder of the Year points.
- A minimum of four alpacas per color, coming from 2 or more classes will be required for a Color Championship.
- Placements in classes with only one or two entries will be awarded 50% of the regular class points. However, if an alpaca from a class of one or two entries goes on to be a Color or Reserve Color Champion, that entry will be awarded all points due a Color Champion, plus the full points for a first or second place class finish.
- Bred and Owned classes will receive the same points as a regular halter class, with the Bred & Owned winners receiving the same points as a Color Champion.
- Judges Choice winners will receive 10 “bonus” points.
- Futurity Sale Consignors whose consignments go on to place in the Futurity Show for the
- The new owner and consignor of alpacas sold in the Futurity auction will receive full duplicate bonus points toward premium awards for that alpaca in that year’s Futurity Show. (Herd Sire points will not be duplicated.)